Due to freezing weather conditions, a number of residents in Lytham St. Anne’s may have experienced no water or reduced pressure, caused by frozen pipes in their home.
The weather is set to warm up over this weekend and any frozen pipes in your home will begin to thaw. When this happens, some of your pipes may leak or burst as a result of being frozen – so United Utilities say it’s worth taking some steps now to be prepared just in case this happens to you.
- As the temperature rises, check your pipes in any cold places such as the loft or garage – can you spot any water dripping from the pipe?
- Find your stop tap, which is usually under the kitchen sink and turn it clockwise to turn off the water.
- Turn off your heating, open all your taps to drain the system quickly.
- Soak up any escaping water with towels.
- Check with your home insurance company to see if you’re covered for leaks and bursts or call a plumber.
- If you need to find a plumber in your area visit www.watersafe.org.uk
- If water has leaked near your electrics switch them off at the mains.
For more help and advice if you have a frozen or burst pipe head to www.unitedutilities.com/winterwise.
Please think about your family, friends or any vulnerable neighbours and share this information with them too.