New book written from a child’s perspective.
Press release from Lancashire Police –
‘Mia’s Story’, a children’s picture book, is now available to help support children with a parent in prison.
‘Mia’ (not her real name) was just 8 years old when her dad was sent to prison. In the story she speaks bravely and honestly about her experiences, hoping that her story can help other children in a similar position.
Being separated from a parent in prison is one of the most damaging childhood experiences. ‘Mia’, along with other children with a parent in prison, needs families, teachers, support workers and communities to:
- Talk honestly and sensitively about what’s happened as much as possible
- Help with letters and phone calls to the parent in prison wherever possible
- Arrange prison visits to help provide reassurance and dispel any myths
- Listen to any concerns and support through any unkind comments or gossip
- Help to prepare for the parent coming home
- Be kind.
‘Mia’s Story’ is available in primary schools across the county and has been created and distributed by Lancashire Violence Reduction Network.
Read the full story here: https://orlo.uk/XW2Ex