Blackpool’s brilliant ‘Ride The Lights’ event takes place this coming Tuesday 31st August. For one night only, the six miles of Blackpool’s Promenade will be closed to traffic, giving thousands of cyclists an opportunity to get an awesome sneak preview of the 2021 Illuminations before the official switch-on on Friday 3rd September. And as an added bonus the weather forecast promises a warm, rain free evening for Tuesday’s Blackpool sunset.
The 2021 event starts at approximately 7.00 p.m. Cyclists may ride at any point along the Promenade from Starr Gate at South Shore to Red Bank Road in Bispham. And you can ride as much or as little of the route as you are able.
The event is not a bike race, so take you time and enjoy the experience. It’s a fun and FREE and open to all. ‘Ride The Lights’ provides a great opportunity to get out and about on your bike with both family and friends.
In order to keep everyone safe, VisitBlackpool have shared a few things to remember:
- All bikes must have a minimum of one white light at the front and one red light at the back.
- It is highly recommended that all participants should wear a cycle helmet.
- A responsible adult must accompany all children.
- Please be aware that the tramway will be operational throughout the ride, take special care in the area around North Pier/Metropole Hotel
- Marshalls and First Aiders will be on hand along the route.
- Bike Doctors and support vehicles will be on hand to look after breakdowns.
- The road will re-open to traffic at 10 p.m. Please try to plan your ride to reach your destination by this time, and be aware of traffic after this time.
VisitBlackpool also add these encouraging words: ‘Why not join in the creative fun by designing your very own Illuminations display on your bike? Decorate your ride with colourful lights, lamps and lanterns to show off your illuminations design ideas. Light your ride… then ride the lights!’