As Christmas is imminent, and dog owners prepare their Christmas feast with beady eyes watching and hoping for something to fall to the floor.
Dog owners have been issued an urgent warning ahead of the festive period. Whilst every dog owner knows that chocolate and raisins are a no-go for dogs, and can be extremely harmful, other pieces of food such as onions and chives, can be extremely harmful to furry friends.
It is more important than ever that pet owners are vigilant, with mince pies, Christmas Pudding, and the odd Forrero Rocher lying around.
- Ensure human treats are out of sight, reach and smell
- Don’t let your dog eat: Christmas cake, Christmas pudding, mince pies or chocolate
- Do NOT feed your dogs leftover bones from the Turkey or Chicken
- Don’t let your dog drink: Drinking chocolate, mulled wine or any alcohol
- Avoid onions, leeks, garlic, shallots and chives. These cause diarrhea, vomiting and damage to red blood cells
- Watch out for holly berries and mistletoe. These cause vomiting, diarrhea and lethargy
RSPCA expert Lisa Hens suggests that rather than always looking for foodie treats, get your dog an active present.
She recommends a nice new toy or even a lovely long walk
If you want to have some surprises Lisa says just hide your dogs usual biscuits in leftover boxes or around the garden and let them sniff them out!