Fylde Council are currently considering a proposal to adjust the existing scheme that allows motorhomes to park overnight on Council-owned car parks. The Council would like to hear your opinions on this change.
It was in 2012 that motorhomes were first allowed to park overnight on any area of the lower section of St Anne’s Swimming Pool Car Park. The facility has proved to be very successful. This success led to the scheme being expanded to a quieter location at North Beach Car Park in 2018. At both locations a reduction in antisocial behaviour has been observed.
Although the motorhome scheme at St Anne’s Swimming Pool Car Park has been successful in attracting new visitors to the area, there is an opinion of some that the scheme is a victim of its own success. During the Summer, particularly last year when fewer foreign holidays were taken, the number of motorhomes in the lower section of the car park regularly exceeded 30. On these occasions the large number of motorhomes displaced other visitors, particularly when larger vehicles parked over multiple bays, and was noted to have a detrimental effect on neighbouring businesses.
The proposal is to limit the number of self-sufficient motorhomes parking overnight on St Anne’s Swimming Pool Car Park to 7, restricted to parking in the oversized parking bays on the lower section of the car park. In addition, the maximum stay will be reduced from 3 days to 2 and the maximum length of motorhomes allowed will be reduced from 10m to the length of the oversized bays. The fees for overnight motorhome parking will be increased to help regulate demand.
On North Beach Car Park the maximum stay will be reduced to 2 days and the tariffs will be raised.
With motorhomes being displaced from St Anne’s Swimming Pool Car Park it is also proposed to operate a pilot scheme for one year to allow:
- A maximum of 6 motorhomes of restricted length to park overnight in a set area of North Promenade Car Park. Fees will be set to match St Anne’s Swimming Pool Car Park.
- A maximum of 8 motorhomes of restricted length to park overnight in a set area of St Paul’s Avenue Car Park. Fees will be set to match North Beach Car Park.
At all locations the following conditions will be applied:
- Maximum stay of 2 days (48 hours). No return visit allowed within 4 days.
- Vehicles must fit within a single bay and be no more than a set length (varies for each car park).
- No caravans or trailers.
- No open fires, BBQs, generators or loud music.
- No setting out of furniture, awnings or washing lines.
- No overnight concessions for blue badge holders.
- No dumping of waste or rubbish.
The Council also asks responsible motorhome owners to report the following:
- All instances of excessive noise, littering and antisocial behaviour to the Council at the first opportunity.
- Any antisocial issues to the Police at the time of occurring.
Users will be signposted to use the sluice unit on North Promenade Car Park to dispose of waste liquids and directed to the location of other locations when designated parking spaces are full.
Fylde Council would like to know your opinion of this proposal.
All responses must be received by Tuesday 25th February.
Here is the link for the questionnaire for your views to be noted: