A new coronavirus testing facility, organised by the Department of Health and Social Care, working with the armed forces and the NHS, will open tomorrow (Tuesday 19th May). This will be located at Blackpool and the Fylde College’s Bispham Campus on Ashfield Road.
The testing, which will begin taking place tomorrow (Tuesday, May 19), will continue until Thursday, May 21,
The Lancashire Resilience Forum reminds local residents that appointments are required to attend and people cannot turn up unexpectedly to be tested.
Dr Sakthi Karunanithi, director of public health for Lancashire, said: ‘We know that this situation is a difficult time for people. Through testing we can understand more about the scale of this situation and help us to bring normal life back again, once it’s appropriate to do so. Mobile testing sites helps us to prioritise certain areas, by adding additional capacity for a short time where it will have the most benefit. By testing essential workers and their families if they’re showing symptoms, we can keep vital services running at this time and protect the essential workers themselves.”
You can apply to get a test if you’re in one of the following groups:
- all essential workers including NHS and social care workers with symptoms (see the full list of essential workers)
- people over 65 with symptoms
- people with symptoms going to work who cannot work from home (for example, construction workers, shop workers, emergency plumbers and delivery drivers)
- anyone who has symptoms of coronavirus and lives with any of those identified above
- social care workers and residents in care homes, with or without symptoms, both to investigate outbreaks and, following successful pilots, as part of a rolling programme to test all care homes
- NHS workers and patients without symptoms, in line with NHS England guidance
You can find out more or book a coronavirus test at: www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus-covid-19-getting-tested
Also today, a loss or changed sense of taste or smell have been added to the NHS coronavirus symptoms list.