Fairhaven Lake has hit the headlines this weekend, the local beauty spot being featured by the Lancashire Telegraph in their top fifteen top dogging sites in the County. In a bid to help unwary and unsuspecting strollers stumbling across this kind of activity, their reporter, Amy Farnworth, has rigorously researched adult websites to find the areas to be vigilent. Innocent strollers may not be aware of going-ons such as dogging, an activity which includes not only sexual activity in public but also watching others engage in sexual activity in public. Whilst this is not banned under a specific law in the UK, people who get caught can be charged under the Sexual Offences Act 2003 with public lewdness and indecent exposure. This activity has allegedly become more popular and widespread since couples were able to arrange meetings through the internet.
Following meticulous research, to be helpful to unsuspecting, unsuspicious strollers, The Lancashire Telegraph conveniently lists in alphabetical order the most popular spots which are used for some al-fresco fun in the County:
- Ashurst Beacon between Wigan and Skelmersdale.
- Barrow in Furness, close to the Cocken Tunnel A590 Barrow
- Beacon Fell off the A6 between Preston and Lancaster
- Birdy Brow, between Longridge and Clitheroe
- Black Hill, Sabden
- Blackburn, Daisyfield, near the Peugeot garage
- Bull Beck picnic area near Lancaster
- Burton, about four miles north of Carnforth off the A6, a small picnic area called Cinder Barrow
- Crook O Lune near Lancaster
- Blackburn with Darwen services
- Denham Hill Quarry
- Fairhaven lake, Lytham-St-Annes
- Haslingden Grane Road – A6177, Calf Hey Reservoir
- The Beacon, Up Holland