Tuesday 30th August sees the annual ‘Ride The Lights’ – giving cyclist and walkers the chance to have an awesome sneak preview of the 2022 Blackpool Illuminations in a traffic free setting. So get on your push bike or pull on your walking shoes for a brilliant car free evening to view the iconic Blackpool Illuminations.
Bikes of all shapes and sizes can take advantage of the seafront route in a free family event that is suitable for all ages. The Promenade will be closed to traffic from 6.30 p.m. until 10.30 p.m. with the ‘Ride the Lights’ event starting at 7 p.m. and finishing at 10 p.m. You can participate at any time during that period.
Cycle as much or as little of the route as you like – or walk to soak up the sights, sounds and atmosphere. There’s no sense of competition about it – it’s just a race to have fun! The Blackpool Illuminations have to be checked before Switch On, and that’s a great opportunity for us to enjoy them. It’s a great big, free event for all of the family.
While the Promenade is completely closed to traffic, it’s the one day of the year when you can safely ride your bike down the middle of the road. Ride or walk in either direction and join at any point on the Promenade. It’s just about fun and atmosphere so enjoy as much or as little of the course as you want to. Lots of people wear fancy dress, and decorate their bikes with all kinds of lights. You’ll certainly see lots of interesting sights on the night!
In order to keep safe on your bike, there are a few things to remember:
- All bikes should have safety lights
- Riders are advised to wear cycle helmets
- Children must be accompanied by a responsible adult
- The tramway will be operational throughout the ride so DO NOT cycle on it
- Marshalls and first aiders will be on hand along the route
- Support vehicles will be on hand to assist with bike breakdowns
- The road will be closed from 6 p.m. and will re-open to traffic at 10 p.m. Try to plan your ride to reach your destination by 10 p.m. and be aware of traffic after this time
- Access to the Pleasure Beach is at the North Gate, to cycle North to South only through the Park, with no access for pedestrians just cyclists. Please note, rides will not be open during this time.