The family of Jack Piper-Sheach have shared a photograph of 10-year-old Jack who died from a ‘high voltage’ electric shock at Blackpool’s Tiffany’s Hotel. They say the tragedy which happened whilst they were on holiday has left them ‘devastated’.
Jack Piper-Sheach was found unresponsive at around 10.40 p.m. on 3rd September at Tiffany’s Hotel, often called ‘The Pink Hotel’, on the Promenade in Blackpool. He died with his family at his bedside four days later in Alder Hey Children’s Hospital. A family source said, ‘It was awful what happened to Jack. It’s absolutely tragic and everyone is devastated but we can’t talk about it publicly because of the ongoing investigation.’
Lancashire Police said following an initial investigation the matter has now been passed to the local authority. Blackpool Council has said in a statement the investigation is ongoing.
On opening the inquest in Blackpool today (Friday 15th September) Senior Coroner’s Officer Rachel Frudd confirmed that Jack was born in Grimsby on 12th June, 2013. She said that Jack’s family, who live in Grimsby, were aware that the hearing was taking place but had chosen not to attend. She added that she was in close contact with Jack’s father and would keep him updated about the coronial inquest and the findings.
A final inquest has provisionally been listed for 6th and 7th February 2024. Witnesses and statements are expected to include evidence from the paediatric consultant at Alder Hey, an electrical engineer and an inspector from Lancashire Police who took statements from both the hotel manager and a hotel director.