Lee Burns ‘Winning The Battle’ After Unprovoked Savage Attack In Poulton

Last month, Lytham St. Anne’s News reported how Lee Burns, 41, was assaulted by an unprovoked savage punch to the back of his head outside Boca Bar in Breck Road, Poulton in the early hours of Sunday, 16th April. (The link to our original story is here:

In the article we shared that Lee was due to be married to his partner Sara Ann Smith and, following a special Grand National day out trip to Aintree Race Course, he was continuing to enjoy his ‘stag do’ with friends around the bars in Poulton. But the celebratory night ended in tragedy when Lee was knocked unconscious after a brutal punch from another man.

The dad-of-three suffered a fractured skull and two separate bleeds on the brain. His family feared for his life.

His friend Paul Latham has this week shared photographs of Lee who, he says, is now awake and talking again.  The featured photographs show Sara getting up close and smiling at Lee & Paul with his daughter Tia at his side

Paul wrote on Wednesday 3rd May, ‘It is 17 days after his lifesaving operation and this is Lee two hours ago. It’s beyond belief how much progress this lad is making since waking up from his coma a week ago. He is interacting more every day, talking (but not a lot currently), watching movies and highlights of football but the fact he’s smiling and his banter is coming back too. I love that!! That’s what makes Lee who he is.

In relation to the mountain Lee has to climb on his road to recovery, he has barely made it to base camp but he’s only going one way and that is up. Special mention for the Neurological Department at Royal Preston Hospital. Lee owes them his life. They saved him. A massive thank you to them and thank you to everyone for hoping, praying and supporting his little family. He’s winning his battle!”

A 33-year-old man from Blackpool was arrested on suspicion of wounding and later was bailed, pending further enquiries, until 13th July. Officers said at this time they do not believe Lee and his attacker were known to each other. Meanwhile, detectives are continuing to ask anyone with information to come forward, contacting them on 101, quoting log 124 of April 16th.

Paul launched a GoFundMe for his friend and, at the time of writing, £12,199 had been donated to help support Lee and his family through his recovery. This is the link to the GoFundMe page:

Leave a Reply

Related Posts