Dog walkers and families are becoming concerned with the volume of dog mess that is appearing on Lytham Green.  A passerby told Lytham St Anne’s News “the dog excrement problem is becoming worse week-by-week.  I can’t walk anywhere on The Green without seeing it, or even worse stepping in it”.

Another resident told us “I stood in a giant pile this morning while trying to show my son how to fly a kite. I literally slid in it there was that much there”.

A mother who was really worried said “I am considering taking my children other places to play now until the situation is resolved, dog poo is extremely dangerous.  I witnessed a man walking a rather large dog, the dog emptied his bowels on the grass and the man just walked off without even contemplating picking it up”.

Dog mess is actually toxic to grass, causing burns and unsightly discoloration. Beside the damage to grass, it has been estimated that a single gram of dog waste can contain 23 million faecal coliform bacteria, which are known to cause cramps, diarrhoea, intestinal illness, and serious kidney disorders in humans.

Please note the dog pictured in the photograph was not fouling the grass

 

Leave a Reply