Man Found Guilty Of Murder After ‘Brutal & Cowardly’ Assault On Lytham Road, Blackpool.

A Blackpool man who killed his neighbour by punching him to the floor and stamping on his head has today (5/5/21) been convicted of murder.

Andrew Claydon, 45, was found guilty of the murder of Matthew Pearson following a trial.

Police were called around 6:45pm on 18th July 2020, after reports of an assault on Lytham Road, Blackpool close to the Farmer’s Arms public house.

Police and paramedics attended a short time later, by which time Mr Pearson had returned to his flat, a short distance from the scene. Mr Pearson was clearly injured and confused, with blood coming from his ear. He was taken to Blackpool Victoria Hospital, and then transferred to Royal Preston Hospital when the extent of his brain injury became apparent. Despite the best efforts of medical staff, Mr Pearson’s condition deteriorated, and he died as a result of his injuries on 2nd August.

CCTV footage was recovered, which identified that Andrew Claydon was responsible for the assault on Lytham Road. The footage showed that Claydon was on Lytham Road with others when Matthew Pearson came out of his home address and crossed Lytham Road to speak to Claydon. Claydon was then seen, with no apparent provocation, to punch Matthew Pearson to the ground, before stamping on him as he lay unconscious.

Claydon was located and arrested on 20th July. He was initially charged with assault occasioning grievous bodily harm, and this was amended to murder after Mr Pearson died on 2nd August. The cause of death was established at the post-mortem examination to be blunt head trauma.

Detectives identified several witnesses, and others came forward as a result of appeals in the local media, which further assisted the investigation.

By carefully piecing together CCTV, witness evidence, a forensic scene examination and specialist pathology evidence, the investigation team were able to prove that Mr Pearson’s fatal injuries could only have been inflicted by Andrew Claydon on 18th July.

Claydon, of Lytham Road, Blackpool, admitted manslaughter but denied the murder charge but was convicted after a trial at Preston Crown Court. He will be sentenced later this month.

Detective Inspector Mark Dickinson of Lancashire Constabulary’s Major Investigation Team said: ‘The true motive for this attack in a public place on an early Summer’s evening may never be fully known. Matthew Pearson was extremely vulnerable and was suffering from a number of medical complaints which meant he posed no threat whatsoever to Andrew Claydon, and he had no prospect of protecting himself from an assault.’

‘The assault itself was both brutal and cowardly in nature. Matthew was punched with no indication an attack was coming, then thrown to the ground, probably causing his head to hit the kerb. It seems likely that he was already unconscious as Claydon violently stamped on the side of his head. Matthew then lay unconscious for over two minutes before slowly picking himself up and staggering back to his flat, only around 40 yards away.’

‘The damage to Matthew’s skull and brain had already been done by that stage, and despite receiving medical attention and specialist care at Royal Preston, doctors were, sadly, unable to save him.’

‘I would like to take the opportunity to thank those who reported the matter to the police and ensured that everything possible was done to help Matthew Pearson, also the witnesses who came forward and assisted with the investigation.’

‘Matthew’s family have maintained their dignity throughout the investigation and subsequent trial, and they continue to have my deepest sympathies.’

Related Posts