Police Name The Assaulted Man Who Has Sadly Died Overnight In Hospital

The  man who was assaulted in Blackpool over the weekend has now sadly died.

Detectives are continuing to appeal for information about the incident, or any footage of it, as they piece together exactly what occurred.

The incident took place at around 7 p.m. on Saturday (March 4th), when an altercation broke out involving a number of people outside The Manchester pub, at the junction of Lytham Road and the Promenade.

Officers were in the area of the pub following the Blackpool v Burnley football match and they attended and found a man had suffered a serious head injury.

They administered CPR at the scene and the man, aged in his 50s, was subsequently taken to hospital. He has since been named as Blackpool resident Tony Johnson, 55, (pictured below).

Sadly Mr Johnson died overnight and his next of kin are now being supported by specially-trained officers.

It is believed the altercation broke out between a number of football fans, with Mr Johnson injured as part of this incident. At this time there is no suggestion he was specifically targeted.

A 33-year-old man from Burnley was arrested at the scene on suspicion of wounding and he has since been bailed, pending further enquiries, until June 1st.

We are continuing to work with both Blackpool and Burnley football clubs to establish who else may have been involved and what exactly occurred.

DCI Tracey McMurdo, of Lancashire Police, said: “Sadly Mr Johnson died in hospital overnight and his family are, understandably, devastated. We are supporting them at this difficult time and are determined to get them answers about what happened.

“The investigation continues and we will pursue anybody involved to bring them to justice.

“We now continue to appeal for information about what occurred. The incident took place in a busy area and we know there were a lot of people around at the time who will have seen all or part of what happened. There may also be people who filmed the incident on a mobile phone or captured it on CCTV or dashcam.

“If you do have any footage, and have not yet been in contact with us, please get in touch.

“At the heart of this is a grieving family, who are incredibly distressed by what has happened, so we also ask that if you have any footage you do not share it on social media. If you have already done so, we respectfully ask that you remove it.”

Anybody with information should call us on 101, quoting log 1262 of March 4tth.  You can also contact Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111

Blackpool FC has paid tribute to Tony, saying they were shocked and saddened’ by his tragic death.The club has invited supporters to pay their respects to Tony at a memorial gathering behind the North Stand at 4pm this afternoon (6th March), along with the Club’s staff and players. A spokesperson for Blackpool FC said: ‘Blackpool FC is deeply shocked and saddened to learn of the news that supporter, Tony Johnson, tragically lost his life earlier this morning.’

Leave a Reply

Related Posts