The latest Care Quality Commission (CQC) Report on Blackpool’s Victoria Hospital has been published today (26.03.2021). This follows an unannounced focused visit on 11 January 2021, which included an inspection of the urgent and emergency care service and an inspection of medical care following concerns about the quality of services. Whilst strengths of the Hospital were highlighted, the CQC have told the hospital to improve important areas such as nurse staffing levels, safe discharges, waiting times and Covid-19 signage.
Some of the actions the service MUST take to improve include:
- The trust must ensure that medical staffing is sufficient to meet the needs of patients and ensure actual staffing meets with or is close to the planned numbers. They should continue work to improve the recruitment and retention of medical staffing to reduce vacancies.
- The trust must continue to progress work and focus on making improvements to flow through the hospital, so that patients receive appropriate care and treatment in the right place when they need it and that discharges happen safely in line with national standards.
- The trust must ensure that patient records are complete, legible and kept securely at all times, so that they are up to date, clear and only accessed by those authorised to do so.
These recommendations are also in today’s report:
- The service should consider a review of the signage on wards in relation to COVID-19 so that it is clear to staff, patients and visitors where there are patients who have tested positive or those who are isolating for COVID-19. Where wards had a mix of negative and contact patients the signage for the segregation of facilities should be reviewed so that it is clear to patients to prevent any potential transmission of the virus.
- The service should continue to review nurse staffing to ensure that it is in line with national guidance, meets the needs of the patients and keeps them safe from avoidable harm.
The Hospital’s full report may be accessed here: https://api.cqc.org.uk/public/v1/reports/7d64ff88-2d08-42b2-8714-3706b14f1408?20210326080046