As summer commences, the siting of nitrous oxide cannisters, originally used to whip cream, are found in parks and outdoor public areas across the country. Young people are known to inhale the gas from balloons in order to get a 20-second high, going through several canisters in a sitting.
Olivia Golding from Bristol is a young mum who inhaled a ‘nos balloon’ and it changed her life forever. Inhaling the gas starved her body of oxygen and resulted in her whole body being paralysed.
Now Olivia is unable to do the simplest of tasks, from making a cup of tea to jumping into the shower, requiring 24/7 care.
Succumbing to peer pressure is Olivia’s biggest regret, feeling devastated and selfish for inflicting these unfortunate circumstances upon her family and her young son.
In order to turn her situation around, Olivia is looking to start talking in schools and hospitals in order to raise awareness of the consequences this drug can have on the body, warning young people not to take part, no matter how much peer pressure they are under. Olivia asks young people to: ‘Think of me and whether you would be able to cope with the impact on your life and your family’